Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer won't show websites despite having an IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfly1977

Technical User
Apr 7, 2007
GB
My broadband connection is supplied by Virgin (formerly ntl), in Nottingham, UK. The box outside my house originally had one live connection delivered by coaxial cable. This supplied the house with broadband and digital tv. I can verify that the broadband works (I have not yet been able to verify the tv).

Two other cables going into my house were cut before I bought the place. I added a 4-way F splitter (QQ70M) and fitted CT100 connectors to the cut cables so that I can have two more live modems in the house. Theoretically, all three should be live. I checked the original connection and it is still live.

However, I tested one of the other 'newly live' cables with a different modem. My second computer tested the connection and confirmed that it was connected and gave me a different IP address from the other cabled computer but when I opened a browser to use the internet, it did not find any server or websites.

In other words, two computers, two modems, two IP addresses but only one is accessing web content.

Does anybody have an answer to this riddle?

you can only have one modem , for more computers you put a router behind that one modem then connect as many box's as you like (up to 253).

Providers of cable modem service will only recognize one MAC address per account. Do what Skip555 says and get a Linksys router. The router's MAC address will be the one the cable company sees, yet it will share the connection on the LAN behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back