Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My computer won't run 3D GAMES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruckusw

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
Here's the deal.

I have an AMD Athlon 1700+ 1.5 gHz board with 3DNow! My card is an AGP NVidia GeForce2 64mb. I run under Windows Me. I thought the problem was the card (back when i had a Nvidia TNT2 m64), so i bought a new one, the GeForce 2. I downloaded the latest drivers, even upgraded my chipset drivers for the AMD, and I installed Directx 8.1. The computer just does not seem to want to run my games that require 3D. These include but are not limited to: No One Lives Forever, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, MDK2, and Frogger. The problem is usually that the computer either locks or quits the program on me.

Here's my question: What do I do? Is it a problem with the Operating System, the Video Card, or the Processor? Does that little 3DNow have anything to do with it? What do I do?

Get rid off your Windows ME, use either Win2k pro or WinXP Pro

Although ME is not the best performing OS I don't think changing your OS is an easy answer here. It may fix your issues indirectly because you would be using different video drivers.

FYI, XP Home would do just fine. I dought you need Pro anything. Win2K may work ok for gaming, but is not really designed for it. Especially for a home system that does gaming.

I have the same problem under both WinXP and Win2k, but it only occured after I updated the AGP Driver. Off a clean install of either operating system, it would allow games to play for 30 minutes or so before halting. Once I updated the AGP Driver, it wouldn't let games run at all. I tried every AGP Driver that VIA had on their website, and several versions of nVidia drivers. I have the latest motherboard and video card drivers. Solutions? 1800+
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (KT333)
2x256 PC2700
Gainward Ti 4400

Try a different Nvidia Drivers. The 27.90 set is ver stable. Look at the post and drivers here.. I have XP and ran the 27.x series for a long time because they were more stable.

You may not be getting the Loop Error, but this infomation can and may solve your issues too. I suggest you read this..

Tried the other drivers, no dice, and it isn't the loop error because I don't get a BSOD when it halts under Win2k. AMD 1800+ (1.53 GHz)
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (KT333, latest BIOS)
2x256 PC2700
Gainward Ti 4400 (Latest BIOS)

I know you may not be getting the loop error, but the information in the article from Via Arena has helped others with different issues as well. It's just a good all around check if your systems clean checklist really.

If you have two RAM sticks try only one and see how that goes for awhile. What brand is your video card? I know there are some issues with certain brands causing electrical noise because of missing capacitors.

I know you may not be getting the loop error, but the information in the article from Via Arena has helped others with different issues as well. It's just a good all around check if your systems clean checklist really.

AS a test try only one 256 RAM chip and see how that goes for awhile. I'd like to see if your system works with one stick.

Try to update your BIOS...
Next, you must double-check your BIOS settings (AGP, RAM...)
(..or maybe it's a faulty VGA)

hey try to get a good fan for your vid card cause thats what was screwing me over when i tried to play 3d games too.card could be overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back