Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Computer Not Showing USB Jump Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittywes38

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
US
Hello Folks,

I am working with several SanDisk jump drives. 256MB to 528MB. On some XP Pro computers they read fine as a removable drive in "My Computer" connected to the network or not. On other XP Pro computers I cannot see any drive associated with the jump drive in "My Computer" but can see it identified in Device Manager.
All computers involved are on the same network. If I login as workstation only the XP Pro machine then is able to see and identify the drive properly.
Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,
Smittywes

Have a look in disk management (run diskmgmt.msc) - they may just not have picked up a drive letter - just assign one there, that stick should then always pick that one up. Often happens on network - especially if there are network drives mapped (XP sometimes wants to use same drive for USB - so no letter gets assigned to usb).

This is a common problem when you have maped network drives, a "windows bug" The USB drive trys to used the same drive letter as the maped drive. IF you unmap the network drives then try the USB drives, if that work remap the network drives an don't used the drive letter used by the USB drive.

Yep, in agreement with the other two posters...

I infact had to remap users mapped network drives so as to leave a couple of drive letters free (from the next one proceeding any local drive) for when removeable mass storage devices are used.

We've been doing what wolluf suggested, (change the drive letter for the USB device from Device Manager), and it saves us having to change all our network drive mappings.

Also, check in the BIOS to see if USB is enabled or not. More places are becoming conscious of the risk to data theft by USB drives, iPods, etc, and are disabling them.

Also check the user permissions. Here at my job they have to be installed by an admin.

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back