Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my computer keeps on freezing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nreyes92

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
US
Everyday at least 3 to 5 times a day it freezes. I have to wait 20 to 30 seconds for it to unfreeze... the way it freezes is that it won't let me move the courser or any possible hot key. I am running windows 98, pentiumII 400mhz, and 256 ram of memory...if anyone has any suggestions please reply..

thank You

Whats your hardware situation, like do you have cd-roms, scanners, or anything else hooked up to the parallel or serial ports? I have a cd-rom drive that will spin up, & for about 10-15 seconds, I have no control over my computer. So I just take the CD out of the drive when I don't this to happen. Scanners will make it so you can't use a lot of your computer while the scanner is running, if hooked to the parallel port.

I have a pc camera, printer, cd-rom, cdRW, floppy, speakers.
I have a pentiumII 400MHZ, 256Ram of memory and I am running Windows98.

do you get a blue screen? what are the error messages?

or does it stop responding? might be a faulty driver

nreyes92

Next time it happens, Alt-Ctrl-Del to see what's running.
Often, when my cursor slows down or keyboard gets "sticky" I find something like (stimon)-(not responding) or others. You may also want to eliminate useless tasks from being enabled at startup.

A "shot in the dark"

GL

Could be an irq problem.

Sometimes a bad mouse can cause this problem. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

The biggest problem I've come across in 95 through ME is temp files and reg setting. Whenever I come across a machine locking up I delete any temporary files I can get my mouse on. Then I run regclean 4.1a (availible on MS's site and others). It might be prudent to follow up with scandisk/defrag. Also, if you know your registry, check it for usless programs running in "Run" or "Run Services". Oh, also check your virus definitions and do a scan. I just had someone with Sircam that kills resources from the recycle bin. Hope it helps.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back