Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Computer Items Slow to Show 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoaln

Technical User
Feb 15, 2002
US
I recently upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Professional. When opening Windows Explorer or My Computer, it takes forever for my drives to show up. Instead, I get the animated flashlight going back and forth for several minutes... Not just a few seconds. This also happens when saving files and pretty much anything that has to access My Computer. I have tried updating the drivers for most of my hardware, including the DVD and CD-RW drives. The weirdest part is that I can manually access both hard drive partitions by typing C: and D: in Start -> Run. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

HP733mhz, 512 meg ram, 30g hard drive split to 2 partitions, Nvidia vanta video. Everything else seems to be working okay. I'm wondering if it is maybe because of upgrading from 2000 pro. I also dual boot into win98se and it works fine. If I share all of my drives and use network neighborhood to browse, it opens up right away.
It is in my office so I will fool with it tomorrow or Tuesday. It's just weird.

Thanks for the response.
Leo

It sounds like your computer is on a network.

Your issue may be caused by Explorer browsing the network first looking to see if their are any remote services waiting for it re: a scheduled task.

If you copy the bolded text into a file named NoSchdTask.reg and then merge it into you registry it may quicken up your local browsing.

If it doesn't help you can re-apply the entry by removing the - (minus sign) from the entry and then reapplying the merge.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
@="Scheduled Tasks"

Warning: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. One cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt.exe.
Post back with success or failure resolving issue(s).
If you found this helpful let us know by voting below.

Also have you tried looking into the possibility that your computer is infected with something similar to SIRCAM or NIMDA. I know that when a computer on our network is infected with either of these viruses it acts the same way as you are describing.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice. I tried them all to no avail, so I reluctantly removed xp and did a clean install and everything seems to work now except for the task of reinstalling all of my apps. I appreciate the help.

Leo

I had an HP Scanjet do that to mine like that. it was hooked thru the USB port, as soon as I removed it all worked normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back