Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My client wants to go wireless how should we go about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozmoeugene

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2004
US
My client wants to go wireless. We have a computer lab with 10 computers an office with 2 machines another office with 2 ect..; machines you get my meaning.
please help me with the following questions:

1.) should we do this on our own or should we use varizon or DSL.
2.) This one guy says that if we use DSL for about 20 connections that this can be pretty slow. The DSL we have now is not slow. He says we should revert back to a T1 line and add DSL which cost much more? Should we do this?
3.) Has anyone else used DSL in a company with more than 25 or more computers.
4.) If you are using DSL have you had any security issues?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

The question is if you go wireless should you use a T1 or DSL.

i cant compleatly answer your question but with bandwith with wierless its gona be slow a number of things come into play and the most thing your going to be consernd about besides bandwith is connectivity to your accespoints, depending on your building home or whatever this is the signal isent goning to be very strong onse you try to leave the room with the accesspoint. also unless they are laptops that are being used all over the place i wouldent sugesst wierless i would stay with ethernet unless you need wierless its a wast of money.

oh and to answer your security quetion if your gona use wierless your gona need to set an ssid wich will keep people from stealing your connection an ssid is basicly a password that is needed to authenticate onto the accesspoints.

Hi, I have a very similar situation here. We have 23 computers running on a windows 2000 adv server. We have implemented wireless network here in our new facility but have been experincing very very slow internet speed when all the users are connected to the server. We have 3 wireless routers with DHCP disabled, and one wired router to generate IPs. Internal networking seems fine, but outside traffic is terrible. We have a static IP with 1536K downstream and 256K upstream. We had the same DSL spec in our old facility with wired network, and there was no problem.

Can anyone explain the cause and the way to fix it? Thanks.

If DSL you're using now is fine, stay with it. Add wireless and you'll end up with bandwidth choke points that adding a T1 won't help.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

ozmoeugene

Wireless without wires is slow - I was told that using the repeaters (access points) in wireless mode creates more net traffic as they talk to each other.

I tried using linksys wap54 and wrt54 - in mixed (b&g) mode-
I wound up having to connect the access point(ap54) to the router(rt54) - directly, not via network switches. I jumpered two existing wire runs to get em connected where the users were.

I was told that five or six users per access point is about as much as you would want, and distance from the access points can slow things down as well. keep em (users and access points) close.

Wireless with laptops and wireless printers points makes for a flexible layout, and even with desktops, the presentation can be neater, - but wire is still quicker.

Wireless without wires is slow - I was told that using the repeaters (access points) in wireless mode creates more net traffic as they talk to each other.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement entirely. If the outside connection is 1.5Mbps and the wireless acess points are all connected to an internal wired LAN at 10Mbps, then those acces points would have to be talking to eachother quite a bit before the DSL stops being the choke point.

You will get some choke in the AP's due to their throughput and the number of concurrent connections, as well as the method you use to connect them to the outside line, but with a 1.5Mbps outside line you really shouldn't see it.

I'm not really sure why your seeing slower speeds with your setup, I run a wireless LAN off a 3Mbps and, while my network is not saturated, I find one AP can more than handle 3 or 4 client connections without any type of bandwidth degradation.

Also, I think I read somewhere that when your running a Linksys (or maybe even others as well?) b/g AP set to autoselect the band based on the connecting client, that a client connecting using b forces all of the clients to use b, dropping anyone who is running "54" Mbps down to "11".

Also remember the numbers given for various speeds (11Mbps, 54Mbps) are not true speeds, I think the high end for 802.11g is actually more like 36. Plus the more clients you have connected the lower the throughput will get on any one connection. Trying to connect 20+ clients to a single AP would be a bad idea.

-T

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

After I read the posts on this thread, I made 12 out of 23 workstations WIRED, and guess what? The internet speed increased! Well, it's still a little bit slower than it was in our old facility, but I certainly found speed increase. So, now I am convinced that my wireless network caused the slowness. But I still don't get why. If this is the circumstance that most of the wireless-networked environment experience, how can they sell wireless AP or cards? Well, I really want to know. Did I set something incorrect, or is this the fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back