Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My citrix sessions never logoff automatically... Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isterios

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
NL
Hello,

I would like my open sessions on Citrix to logoff automatically after a certain period of time.

Actually, the sessions appear as disconnected in the Management Console, but never logoff (for example a session appears "disconnected" for more than one week now).

Thank you.

Try going into the Control Panel under Administrative tools and Terminal Server Configuration. Check the properties on ICA - Tcp and check off the boxes labeled 'Override user settings.'

Play with those settings and I'm sure you'll find something you can work with.

More specifically -- from the "Citrix Connection Configuration" tool, DBL CLICK on the ICA-TCP option and choose advanced settings.

Down at the bottom there is an option "One a broken or timed-out connection". For this option choose RESET.

Hi,

But remember, these sessions will be "reset" not "logged off".

There is a difference! Work will be lost, profiles not written back, file corruption!

Try to educate your user or work out what is running that shouldn't be!

Cheers,
Carl.

True....reset and logoff are different. But reset will rectify the problem Iseterios described

"for example a session appears "disconnected" for more than one week now)."

Help. It still doesn't work. I precise I use the Web Intreface.

I set the policies (group policy: user configuration/administrative templates/windows components/terminal services/sessions)as following:
"Set time limit for disconnected session: activated. 1 hour."
"Set time limit for idle session": activated. 1 hour.
"Terminate session when time limits are reached. Activated"

After, I set the ica-tcp as following:
on a broken or timed out connection: reset.

So I connected with a user session and waited without doing anything. The session has been logout on the client interface. (done by the web server/IIis I think).

But on the server, in the management console (refreshed), this session still appears as "Active". How to logof this session automatically?

Thks

This also happens to us. A user goes gets kick out of Citrix but when I check CMC their session is still Active.

This situation is bad because a license keep used.

The clue is not to alter any settings in Terminal Services. Instead go to Citrix Connection Configuration and depinding on the protocol you're using (probarbly ICA) doubleclick ICA-TCP. Then click Advanced.
Set a value at Disconnect and a higher value at Idle. Keep the setting "on a broken timeout....".
I use these settings on my Citrix Farm and users are disconnected automatically after a period a iddleness. Also there sessions is disconnected gracefully.

Thanks but I cannot change the value "disconnection" in ica-tcp/advanced connection seetings because this setting is grey (cannot be changed)

But I can change connection and idle (for idle I put 40).

Why is it not possible to change this value disconnection in my configuration?

Hi,

Crazybites199 says "Also there sessions is disconnected gracefully"

Sorry but these sessions are Reset. Only an Admin person can log these disconnected sessions of by using CMC or Citrix Server Admin.

isterios, run Citrix Connection Configuration, double click ica-tcp, click Advanced.

Is there a tick box saying "No Timeout", if so, untick it and then enter your chosen value, I have it set to 60 minutes.

Also, when a disconnected session gets to 59 minutes, I normally log it off (when I am work!) so that it exists gracefully rather than being reset.

Hope this helps,
Carl.

Thanks Ogi but the box "no timeout" for diconnection is grey also, and cannot be unticked.
Only disconnection is grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back