Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Cat keeps Changing My Keyboard Layout from QWERTY to Dvorak! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfelis

Technical User
Sep 13, 2003
AU
He has done this three times in the last two days, by lying on the left hand side of the keyboard. I can get my QWERTY layout back by restarting the computer but this is a long and annoying process when I am in the middle of working on something because I normally have about 10 different notepad files open, plus Firefox and my photo software, so it takes me a long time to get everything back exactly the way I had it before the restart. Windows "Help" is useless as I can find only how to change TO Dvorak, not the other way round.

I am assuming the cause is some sort of smart key combination, but I have searched all over the internet without finding any applicable information.

I am running MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1 on a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz. The keyboard in question is a Smart Office EZ 7000, but the internal diagnostic reports it as a Standard PS/2 Keyboard (if that means anything).

Please excuse me if I have omitted any important information as hardware is NOT my field.

Yours Sincerely,
Ms Jacq Felis.

Have you checked the Keyboard input and language services installed?

You could remove the Dvorak layout all together or at the very least set a combination of keys to use to toggle to and from it.

In control panel look for the Regional and Language Options icon (in classic view).

Go to the Keyboards and Language tab, and click on Change Keyboards.

Thar should bring up the Text Services and Input Languages window.

You can see there what keyboard languages and layouts you have installed and remove the Dvorak option, or if you really need it set a group of keys to toggle back and forth from it by clicking on the Properties button when the Dvorak layout entry is selected.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

These are the steps for activating DVORAK, reversing them would deactivate them:

Click "Start" (bottom left on screen)

Click "Control Panel"

Click "Clock Language and Region".

Click "Regional and Language options".

Click "Keyboards and Languages".

Click "Change Keyboards

In "Text Services and Input Languages" click "Add" then scroll down the list to "keyboard" find "United States Dvorak" click OK.

Click down arrow on bar.

Click "US Dvorak".

Click "Apply".

Click "OK".

Click "OK" Regional and Language close.
source: Dvorak Keyboard Typing On Your computer in 30 Seconds

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back