Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My C drive is set to 'SHARED" access after re-boot 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckrogers21c

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
NL
Hi all,
When I re-boot, my C drive is reset to 'shared' access. If I connect another external drive (e.g. a hard disk) and re-boot then this drive is also re-set to 'shared' access.

This is a recent development. So, any ideas as to what is doing this ? Or what I should look for ? I'm assuming that either I have re-set something recently or that some otehr kind individual has done so for me :)

The C: drive can be (and is usually) shared for a number of reasons. Back up and anti-virus programs can require the C: drive to be shared. If you have a subdirectory shared, the root is also shared.

Personally, I would first check to see if the share is publicly available. If it is, then I would start locking it down with permissions.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Do you mean the c$ share? That's shared by default every time the machine reboots. Don't know of a way to change that, other than making a login script to do:

net share c$ /delete

Darrell Mozingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back