Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Brain HURTS! Cisco1601 and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryke3

MIS
Jun 12, 2003
US
Okay, like i said my brain hurts.
Heres why.
I've spent hours reading the posts here and hours reading documents on the Cisco website. (also read a lot of tech books lately)

What i am trying to do, and why.

My LAN is setup with static private IP. 1601 router is a gateway for internet services and uses NAT (Public IPs. IP unnumbered to ethernet0) via a leased T1 line. They have added out of state sales and want them to be able to log into our LAN to see available inventory. The application is on a novell 3.2 server. I also have an NT 4 server that connects to the Novell server. My thoughts are VPN (PPTP) would work for this, avoiding long distance dial ups for those out of state.
My brain hurts and asks...
am i right?
If this is persuable, then i will post the current running config of the router and other pertinent info. I have yet to developed a full working relationship with the Cisco router but am very willing to learn.

Ok, so after reading even more post here, and searching posts elsewhere, it seems that those of us that want to use vpn and Cisco 1601 routers are viewed as lepers, Plagued or otherwise over looked. Guess I will buy a different router and see what I can accomplish on my own.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back