Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

my application is extremely slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.

rargi2002

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
AR
hello guys,
i have my application running under win98. Please i need someone to tell me why it is so slowly. I have tried many antivirus because i thought it was a virus, but nothing seem to solve the problem. i was told to delete the .tmp files from the dirctory bacause the temporary files make go slow the application. I've already done so, but that doesn't solve the problem either.
I also would like to know if there is a sentence to accelerate the begining of an application.
thank you very much for your time. Any help will be appreciated.

Ramon

There are many possible reasons for a program running slowly. And "slow" is a very subjective description - compared to what?

If you do a keyword search for the word "SLOW" you will find 33 postings in the last 6 months all having to do with something slow. You might want to look at those postings and replies since they might provide a clue for you.

We need to get a good bit more information from you in order to provide suggestions.
1. What version Foxpro?
2. What operating system - PC & Network?
Running on a stand-alone PC or from a Server?
3. Did the application run faster before and slow now?
If so, what changed?
4. What is the application attempting to perform when you think it is running slow?
5. Are you running a compiled executable application?
Or the FXP files?

Anything else that you can tell us about your application and the environment it is running in?

The more we know, the better we can help you.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

Ramon,
Actually the Virus checker itself may be the problem!
If the virus checker is configured to check a given file type anytime it's written to, this can cause real problems for any dtabase application. After all that's what we do - add, change, and delete data!

So everytime you add a record to the table, the AV program has to scan the whole table AND index file - this would obviously slow things down - especially if it just gets started checking and it gets changed again, and again, etc.!

Just make sure it isn't configured to "Auto Protect", .DBF, .CDX and .FPT files.

Rick

or will the rushmore technology work for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back