Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My AD server broke my cookies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsevens

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2000
US
Well, I think it is the Active Directory server's fault:
My company just switched from an NT 4 Domain to a Win2K Active Directory. The server (named CSADS1) also is handling DNS internally now. The problem is, our intranet server (which is running Apache/PHP on Linux) is not able to set cookies any more.

The server's address used to be " " and this address was listed in our users hosts file, but now that CSADS1 is doing DNS it has the listing for the intranet server. But it won't allow just plain so it is now I made the appropriate changes to the intranet site and everything works properly except for setting cookies (and maybe retrieving cookies, but I can't set any to test that!) Unfortunately, cookies are vital to the login process so the whole site is crippled without them.

Now here's the craziest part -- the cookies work fine in Netscape 6.2! I had to make some modifications to the site for everything to appear correctly (mostly just using proper html), but the cookies work fine.

So I've done a little deduction here, and I think that the problem is caused by a mix of an internal server and roaming profiles (since the cookies are stored in the AD server's "profiles" directory). Has anybody else had an experienc like this, and if so, is there a workaround?

Did you go back and check your hosts file? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent
and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84); English author.

Yes - initially, the entry was still in the hosts file but I have since removed it and had the same results.
Remember, the site is now located at rather than so the hosts file is no longer a factor (pinging the address shows that it is resolving to the correct IP, and Netscape 6.2 works OK).

I still use hosts files. Try changing the hosts file to the new name. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent
and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84); English author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back