Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Access wishlist - it turns out to be a Top Ten list 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

psemianonymous

Programmer
Dec 2, 2002
US
My wishlist is as follows:

Reports natively output to .DOC or other ubiquitous format (.RTF, .PDF). This way, your users can email the reports to their colleagues, without installing the Snapshot Viewer. RTF output is ok, but isn't perfect. I need a PERFECT output, and I DO NOT want to install anything extra to get this output.

Deployment issues resolved, somehow - where you can actually USE the calendar control without problems. Maybe the runtime deployment issues should get its own tick, but since I don't deal with that, too bad. Make your own wishlist.

Built-in search & replace functionality, and better than Name Autocorrect.

First-class support for FTP, HTTP file transfers (obviously http will only DOWNLOAD files). A DoCmd.FTPGetFile would be great, for example.

A Database Backup help-file disguised as a wizard, so I don't have to answer any more questions on this forum about the subject.

Revamp some of the security 'features'. Specifically, I would like to disallow any changes to the default system.MDW file, that way a lot of botched security setups won't get off the ground in the first place. Maybe just an update to the SECFAQ explaining some of the things they left out.

6b.
Allow a user to log out of a workgroup file and re-login to a workgroup inside Access. Sort of like the JET login screen, but allowing you to pick which workgroup file you are connecting over. In fact, just add this to the JET login screen, under 'password'. This would solve a WHOLE LOT of problems. Also: allow a database to have a default associated workgroup file, so that your users who double-click on the MDB will automatically get the 'correct' login screen. I want this feature built-in, not as some sort of addin or 'logon MDB'. I can do that myself; I want this built-in.

Better mailmerge with Word. I don't know how, and I don't know specifically what, but fix something there. Maybe allow Access to 'push' a dataset out to Word instead of 'setting' a dataset in plain view which Word then 'pulls' into the Mailmerge.

Better/CLEANER way to pass data between forms than using the OpenArgs argument. Right now I just jam together all the arguments into one string, then use Split() to cut these up into the 'arguments', then parse through them. This code gets really, really nasty when I can open a form in more than one way--i.e. "this form allows 1, 3 or 5 arguments depending on what mode it's opened in". I have documentation that's a page trying to explain why my code is so nasty. I would love to set up a clean interface, maybe using objects or some sort of 'argument struct', but am totally disallowed because I have to use OpenArgs.

Performance-friendly, server-friendly bound forms. We just take for granted that you're 'not supposed to use bound forms with large datasets'. But that doesn't necessarily have to be. Obviously some parts of it are entirely unmovable (i.e. cannot download entire dataset at once), but the fact that you can't use them at ALL is bad. Maybe have a 'big dataset' bound form mode where you get warning messages if you try and FILTER/SORT/SEARCH the dataset, or try to move to the last record...

Better parameter inputs for queries. Basically build a generalized search form so we don't have to build our own. Over, and over, and over, and over, .... (x100) ... and over, and over. Seriously. Do a search on this forum for 'search form' or for 'parameter query'. If you could combine these into something useful and built-in...excellent.
One thing that people who use parameter queries want is for optional parameters. One thing a lot of people want who are building search forms is for a centralized way to just filter the query. I think this is somewhat tied up in the idea of the Lookup Fields at the table level, but needs to be ... better. And more flexible.

11. First-class support for the OpenFile dialogsolved in newer versions of Access.

If you have comments, feel free to add them. I've been wanting to write about this for a while.

Pete

11 Full catalog(ue) in ordinary tables not poxy VBA collections.

12 All objects accessible in text format so you can do global search-and-replace, copy etc

13 Table/Query names to be parameterised in all contexts so you can use the same program to run against different tables (of the same format)

14 Explain for queries

15 Objects to be stored in pseudo-directories rather than all eg queries clumped together in one window.

1. Reports natively output to .DOC or other ubiquitous format
YES. Big time. Have you used Steve Lebans's ReportUtilities? It's _not_ what you're looking for, but it is darn good. It creates an rtf file from your report, though it does it by building tons of images, so they're nearly impossible to edit. Still, though, for just getting a report to someone so they can read it, it's really excellent.

2. Deployment issues resolved, somehow
YES. And dll Hell banished as well.

3.Built-in search & replace functionality
Hmm. I'm quite happy with Rick Fisher's Find n Replace (
5. A Database Backup help-file disguised as a wizard, so I don't have to answer any more questions on this forum about the subject.
Heh! Yes.

6. Revamp some of the security 'features'. Specifically, I would like to disallow any changes to the default system.MDW file.
YES, yes, yes. I don't think an update to the FAQ would be as good as disallowing changes to system.mdw.

8. Better/CLEANER way to pass data between forms than using the OpenArgs argument.
Hmm. Why spend so much energy passing arguments? Why not just make the first form invisible instead of closing it?

This is a great list Pete. I clearly skipped a few that are lower on my list, but this is a great list. The one that I most want is TINY: I want a single key combination to bring up the properties window or close it when I'm in design view of a form or report. The time I spend moving to my mouse and back for just that purpose...

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

BNPMike,

15 is solved using the groups.....you can create groups in your database window and assign any object from your database to multiple groups to group them accroding to function/application/whatever works for you.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+
w: rljohnso@stewart.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

Actually Jeremy, I *did* use ReportUtilities, and after some pain&anguish I got it working. But it was still awful-ugly, as it didn't set the margins on the .RTF files to their report equivalents. Also, the exported .RTF's are basically uneditable blobs and are only useful to open and immediately print. Which is ... not as seamless as I would like.

So for my new project I gave them options:
-1. Just export the report without the lines into .RTF (this is what they chose)
-2. Give me 'lots of time' and I'll get it working, (would probably have used Mailmerge or just exported to Excel)
-3. Install the Snapshot Viewer.

Anyway. My #8 complaint basically boils down to the fact that some of the class properties are hidden from your view. I would like to more directly edit each form, something along the lines of BNPMike, where you can optionally 'see' the hidden code as well as optionally 'hide' it. I basically want a custom constructor for each form instance, like I can do in any O-O language. I know that each form type is just a subclass of the Form class, but I can't see or edit the constructors.

Also, I use OpenArgs because that way, I can open the form from any other form in the database in the same (unified) manner. For example, I'll pass in a SSN as the OpenArgs and have it filter the form by that SSN. Or, I'll pass in an entire valid SQL WHERE clause that simply gets appended to the form's recordsource (before the form loads the recordsource, of course). But it's nasty/ugly. Moving on.

I'd like to also flesh out #10 with an example that everyone needs: a DatePicker. Sure, we have datepicker add-ins, and we can build custom functions to parse date strings, but I would like to be able to use an Access built-in datepicker that can, for example, filter reports to one week, month, or quarter, or year. Selectable dates in a calendar-looking datepicker. Dates are so common that this sort of request, though it may seem superfluous, is not. This is a significant portion of what all Access databases store, and a significant portion of how users interact with the database.

Guys,
While we're wishing could we wish up triggers, too???

Tranman

Great thread!

JeremyNYC:
Your little key combination (97 thru xp):
ALT+ENTER -> displays properties (as does SHIFT+F10 - P)
ALT+F4 -> shuts it down

Shouldn't be a need to say this, but be aware of other functionality of this combination if other things have focus;-)

Roy-Vidar

Only one wish:

VBA type runtime (exe), not the 200Mb monster that Access currently creates.

Rich

Bespoke and off-the-shelf Access solutions

#8-Instead of using openargs, I create custom, public properties and methods on the form, then on the calling for:
Dim frm as Form
set frm=New frmInput
frm.CustomPrp="Variable1"
call frm.CustomMethod()
frm.Visible=True

Exporting a report directly to word would be highest on my list, it's starting to look more possible in Office 2003 with XML file formats.

I'd like to make access more network friendly. When connected to a back end file across the network, there is a constant stream of data across the network, even if it's not being used.

Also, when using form as a search by form, instead of just performing the search, I'd like to get the SQL back so I can modify it if needed, or even better, autogenerate the WHERE clause based on control names on an unbound form.

I'm sure there are plenty more wishes, but that will do for now.

Ben

----------------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara "Where are all the stupid people from...
...And how'd they get so dumb?"
rockband.gif
NoFX-The Decline
----------------------------------------------

it alright for some
here's me wishing I could remeber the code I wrote yesterday

Hope this helps
Hymn

Hey! If you want your reports to be printed as a PDF document try this EXCELLENT program
It costs only $10, or u can evaluate it for free (email them and they'll send a key). The resulting PDF is excellent quality and can be emailed off using automation. Easy to program with VBA as it works using an .ini file, so INIFILE editing API calls are only needed. I use it for all my apps that needs PDF documents.

Regards

Sean

Business and Data Analyst
Database & Web Applications
International Applications Development
VB,VBA,ASP,SQL,Java,Pascal,ADA,SSADM,UML
seanunderwood1@hotmail.com

I would lick to see WEB pages improved. To make it easier similar to FORMS. BUT WORK!

Some very good ideas. It a shame you can not give a star for starting a GOOD thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back