Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MX Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Dec 29, 2005
US
Our website was hosting by a third company, they maintance our Email server Mx Records; Do I need to have someone else to backup my DNS and secondary MX for my Email other than the current company? What would be best practice for it?

Many thanks,
-Steve

That depends on your provider. My personal preference is to require that the NS records for my domain name be servers on separate subnets. Having them on a single subnet introduces a single point of failure.

Oh, yeah, and make sure you're using a reputable provider, not something like "Uncle Bob's fish bait and web hosting".... :)

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Hey Pat - are you using the same ISP as me? Bob's been great to me! Only downside is that my servers all smell.

Nah - we got away from Uncle Bob's. We switched to "Big Bubba's lube jobs and DNS service" after I found a fishing lure stuck in a power supply fan.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back