Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MX record problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edney

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I believe we are having message routing problems in Exchange 2000.

A 3rd party hosts our DNS and contains our MX record which is obviously for delivering mail from external. We are receiving mail from external with no problems.

My question is on our internal DNS servers, do I need to have a MX record, I personally think not. I have examined our DNS setup and noticed MX record entries in our internal DNS system.

A MX record tells people on the internet what IP address to deliver mail to, why would I need a MX record inside the organization? When a internal user sends mail it get's forwarded to a DNS server for resolution and is the reverse, finds the companies MX record and can then deliver mail to the appropriate IP address.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks Edney.

Nope, you do not usually need an MX record internally. Once the ISP has the MX record setup so that mail is sent to the IP of your network, the only thing you really need to do is setup port forwarding (sometimes called IP mapping) on your firewall. Forward port 25 from you firewall to the IP of you mail server.

James
MCP, MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back