Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MX record point and IP address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi.. bit of a pickle,

We have Win200 Server, running IIS5, MS DNS Server hosting the domain mydomain.com. The client has an internal mail server, with an ip address. So they want all mail going to their mail server. I changed the mx record of the domain to the mail server IP.. no Dice! Kept getting error message saying that

" It appears that the DNS operator for mydomain.com
has installed an invalid MX record with an IP address
instead of a domain name on the right hand side."

Can you not insert an ip in a mx record?

Anyhow in a bid to try and solve this emergency, I changed the A record for the 'mail' host on the domain 'mydomain.com' to the mail servers IP in the hope that when the mx record points to 'mail.mydomain.com' it will be sent to the mail server's IP.

Will this work? Very confused!!

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Nell1

MX records should never be pointed at a IP address or a CNAME. They should point to a hostname.

So yes you should create a A record to point to the servers IP, and then the MX record will point to this A record.

Ash.

Thanks Ash!

hope that's sorted it!

Nell1

Hi,

I also had this same exact problem so thanks for helping me too, lol.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back