Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MX 7.0 Standard vs. Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdog2020

Instructor
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hey All,
We run MX 6.1 Enterprise for out Intranet. I'm interested in a few 7.0 features (Flash Forms, XML Forms, Structured Reporting, PDF Generation, FlashPaper) that are all included in 7.0 Standard.

I'm thinking about going with 7.0 Standard, as it seems like most of the Enterprise features would be more applicable for an ISP or something (Multiple server instances, Web-based Cluster Manager, J2EE Package Deploy, CAR).

What's the feeling out there on these 7.0 Enterprise Features? Must have?

If you're not doing clustering, then you're just wasting several thousand dollars on the Enterprise Edition. That's the main difference between Standard and Enterprise. That and native database support, but you can still set up Standard to connect to databases not natively supported by the Standard version(Oracle, AS/400, etc..).

Not that it would matter much, but what platform are you running on?

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies, LLC

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Hey Thanks, that is most helpful. We're a Windows shop, and we're definitely not doing clustering, or need native db support like that. We have a few applications that use JDE data from an AS/400, and we use ODBC for that, always have.

I think I'll recommend we get 7.0 Standard, rather than upgrade our 6.1 Enterprise to 7.0 Enterprise. We've never used the Enterprise features at all, and I don't think we ever will need to.

thanks again.

Don'f forget it is also the only version which provides event gateways which you may (or may not) have a use for

I was going to mention the event gateway stuff, which I would like for a project, but still that's all some pretty high end stuff... standard should suit most people.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back