Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MWI not staying lit with CallPilot Desktop Messaging -- Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

huddleto

Technical User
May 3, 2004
US
I've read everything I can find on this forum pertaining to this and nothing has helped. Help!!!

A few months ago, I started getting numerous complaints from users about their MWI lights only lighting up for a second or two and then going off even though they had not listened to the message. Turns out, each one had the Google or Yahoo Search bar installed into their browsers which was causing the problem. Nortel knew about this and issued and released an updated version of the Desktop Messaging client - Build 4.04.04.01.

I had all my users update their CallPilot Desktop Messaging clients and the problem went away. Now I have two users with the same issue again. The CallPilot server is release 02.01.27 and each one has the newer Desktop Messaging client installed.

As a test, I shut one of the user's PC's down and left them a message and the light stayed lit. However, after booting the PC up and starting Outlook 2003, the MWI light turned off. The PC's are running XP with SP2. Also, Auto Preview and Reading Pane are turned off for each user per our corporate email policies and the default view is their regular Inbox, not the Desktop Messaging Inbox.

I'm scratching my head here! Has anyone else experienced this lately?

check the section where it say "mark message as read after x second"

its part of outlook feature

Thanks! I found something similiar to "mark message as read ..." but that was in Preview Pane setting which is currently turned off. Where exactly are you seeing this Outlook feature?

that's the section I was referring too. I wasn't sure if it was in the preview pane section or seperate.

in outlook...does it shows the messages as read or are they still unread? if you left several vm msg in the mb then have them open outlook, does the light goes out after looking at the first msg?

if outlook shows that the msg as read, then the light will go out. as to the second part above, if after reading 1 msg out of multiple msges and the light goes out, you'll have to remove the user outlook account and reboot the pc, then add it back.

we ran into this once before when SP2 for XP first came out, Nortel told us that SP2 wasn't supported so the best they could do for us for gave the recommendation above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back