Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MVS vs. VSE - Which Environment Do You Prefer ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldcoboler

Programmer
Mar 15, 2002
US
Just a quick general question...

What is the consenus of MVS Cobol vs. VSE Cobol ?

My brief experience with VSE Cobol was a mess to say the least. I did have some excellent experience with MVS and HP-Unix using AcuCobol.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should even mention that I used VSE in the past for my future consulting gig searches.

Thanks in advance for any posts,

Oldcoboler

These days, the only truly supported COBOL compiler for VSE is COBOL for VSE which is (allowing for some minor O/S specific differences and probably some non-critical things I haven't used) the same the same as COBOL for MVS/VM. They all use Language Extensions (LE).

I think the difference in the two environments is more driven by differences in things like editors, library structure, disk/tape file management, security, company culture, etc than it is by COBOL per se. VSE shops tend to be low-budget affairs and often don't have the sophisticated tools that their MVS brethren have. But, some VSE shops are extremely sophisticated and well-equipped; working with them can be very productive and satisfying.

As for including it on your resume, I'd lean toward doing so if only in the spirit of full disclosure! Having to confess in an interview that all that recent IDCAMS, CICS, COBOL mainframe experience was VSE not MVS (er OS/390!) could be embarassing. Of course, you may not have even gotten the interview if you'd been up front about it, so . . . I guess go with what you feel comfortable doing.

Good luck!

I have only ever used IBM Mainframes with VSE/ESA So that must be the best.

Insert Smirk/Joke ----------------------

There are probably a lot of small organizations that need a mainframe, but do not want to pay for MVS.

Current computer Multiprise series mainframe.

Ignorance is Bliss! If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back