Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'mv' corrupts my data....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thief

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
recently i moved some data of an user from one mounted file system to another mounted file system. some strange thing happened after that even though i cud see the file size and other parameters same, when i open any file i only see about 1% of the contents remaining 99% of the contents are invisible. i had done a mv in irix from one location to another. can anyone tell me what went wrong with the mv and is there any way to recpver the data?

thanks in advance...

Thief................ ::)
(I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us .)

Can you tell me what OS your using? Well if its Win XP its because of the XP security policy, to change that you have to do to the administor tools and then Computer management and mess around with the security settings.

Unlikely to recover if UNIX based as suspected because of the way the post was worded.
Stuff happens. Controller glitch. Hard drive glitch.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If it's an ext/ext2 file system you might be able to pull the data off the original drive using R-Studio. Depends on how overwritten the data is at this point as to how successful the product will work.

R-Studio runs on Windows. So I suggest setting-up another drive with Windows then install the subject drive behind the new one. That should allow you to extract the data.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back