Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mutliple Event Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPTC

MIS
Dec 12, 2003
US
I have read in the Mercator 6.7 Event Server reference guide on page 99 that it is possible to run more than one event server on a machine. My intention for doing this is to be able to control one system at a time rather than multiple systems at once through a compound system.

I cannot find the procedure for installing more than one event server. I have tried reinstalling the software, thinking I can install it in a different directory but the installation program does not give me the option to install in a directory other than the default. I have also tried setting up and associating a unique virtual server with each system I have in IFD. However, when connecting to these through the Management Console there is still only one port for all of the systems.

Does anyone know the procedure for installing and running multiple event servers on the same machine?

Mercator/Ascential support staff said they nolonger offer the multiple server install for Windows. With Unix the standard version can be installed multiple times.

eyetry

The multiple event server is a special download. It is available from Customer Support. They don't actively support it but support is provided for everything else. I have not experienced any problems yet with 6.7.1.
Jan

MPTC, if you are able to get this download let me know. I've spoken to several people and they said they nolonger offer it. Normally I get what I want so I've taken them at their word on this but.... I trust janhes so give'em a call, you may have better luck.

eyetry

I was talking to Ascential about this yesterday. Apparently they will only supply the 6.7 multiple event server if the customer had the 6.5.2 version. So, if you're new to multiple event server at 6.7 you won't get it.
Jan

All, thanks for the replies. I'll check with Ascential and see what they say. I'll post their response in case it would be helpful to anyone.

Here is the response I received from Mercator regarding multiple installs, it confirms the replies to this subject:

Regarding the mulitple Event Servers, that was a separate install completely (on Windows). I don't know all of the details but I believe the issue of multiple Event Servers is going to be handled from a different angle design wise. In other words, in some future release there may be the ability to spawn mulitple Event Server processes with individual resource management rather than having to have a separate install that installed individual Event Server services etc.

I don't know when that will be available but possibly in the not too distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back