Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must Sign-In Repeatedly to My MSN .NET Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

artpac

Technical User
Mar 9, 2003
CA
MS Internet Explorer 6

I'm annoyed with My MSN default homepage because I have to repeatedly sign in to the .NET Passport Sign-In. This is in despite of the fact that I check the box to "sign me in automatically". Once signed in, I can open and close the browser or open multiple instances of the browser but after a few times it asks me to sign in again. No one else will use my personal home computer except over my dead body so why do i have to sign-in at least once a day? Is it normal to have to sign in after four or five accesses to My MSN?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Paul

artpac - MSN signs you in automatically using cookies. make sure you have cookies enabled in yoour browser.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

It seems cookies have nothing to do with my need to sign-in every few MSN home page sesssions. My IE6 cookies setting is Medium which works just fine for other web sites. I tried the Minimum setting for a few days and there was no change in the passport sign-in requirement.

I suspect MSN actually requires registered users to sign-on again after so many sessions have been used, even though I checked the box for signing in automatically.

Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Paul

Hi Paul - I have &quot;sign me in automatically&quot; enabled for my hotmail - and I haven't entered my password in on this machine for MONTHS. So Hotmail don't need you to reenter the p/w's regularly (unlike yahoo - very annoying!)

do you have &quot;empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed&quot; enabled? (this is under Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced). if so, this may be deleting your hotmail cookie every time you exit IE.

btw, check your time / date is correct; this can cause cookie acceptance problems.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back