Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must restore data to DR server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pobman

Technical User
Apr 22, 2005
NZ
Hello,

I have posted several threads regarding my voyage of discovery with mksysb's and AIX, but seem to be at a loss now please help me.

I need to restore data from a mksysb to a DR server.
Problem is the DR server only has 2 disks not 4 and no mirrors.

I need to restore AIX 5.2 to the server, I have tried booting from the tape but it hangs before the install text appears,

I have tried to use teh sms, the cd and the tape and got no where.
I have tried using wsm and now my latest is cloning the hdisk1 to hdisk0.

Then trying to restore the files from the tape to the new cloned partition, again this is not working, as I ma unaware of how to mount a lv hdisk0 mount point to my hdisk1 /. I was goinf to use the restore command and extract the directories over the top of each mount point one by one.

Any ideas would be great as I am really stuck, I am a AIX newbie so if you can spell it out it would be great.

I should mention the main error I get using mksysb is

# alt_disk_install -i '/var/adm/ras/image.data' -d /dev/rmt0 hdisk0
Restoring /image.data from mksysb image.
Checking disk sizes.
Creating cloned rootvg volume group and associated logical volumes.
0505-102 alt_disk_install: mkvg has returned an error.
0516-1208 mkvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 4 requires the
creation of 35003 partitions for hdisk0. The system limitation is 16256
physical partitions per disk at a factor value of 16. Specify a larger
Physical Partition Size or a larger factor value in order create a
volume group on this disk.
0516-862 mkvg: Unable to create volume group.
Cleaning up.

I was trying to use teh existing image.data file not the one on the disk, also I do not have access to a floppy so that way is out as well.

Any Ideas???

Try changing the PPSIZE in image.data file

Code:
vg_data:
VGNAME= rootvg
PPSIZE= 64
VARYON= yes
VG_SOURCE_DISK_LIST= hdisk0
QUORUM= 2
ENH_CONC_CAPABLE= no
CONC_AUTO= no
BIGVG= no
TFACTOR= 1

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

i think i have done something like this before. i think you can edit /image.data on your source system, there are various COPIES=2 that need changing to COPIES=1 under the lvdata stanza.

Create another mksysb on your source system but don't create a new image.data (don't include the -i option).

Restore this mksysb on your target system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back