Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must re-establish links EVERY TIME I open my file??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxon

Technical User
May 25, 2001
CA
Every time I open my Illustrator file, an error msg is displayed for every linked image ("An error occured trying to read linked file X, replace it with another file?"). If I try to replace the link at this point, it doesn't work (the msg keeps reappearing for the same link). If I hit cancel, my document opens without images. I then have to re-establish the links one by one. The next time I open the Illustrator file, the same thing happens... any ideas why?

Thank you.

Chantal

You will get the error message for every image missing, even if its placed multiple times. In the place dialoge there is a checkbox for LINK. Make sure that is checked. Once you get the file re-opened with all the correct placements, save it right away. Illustrator keeps an exact path link to every placed image (until you embed it) and if you move the image file to a different location AI wont know where to go to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back