Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

musical interference while learning from ms tutorials 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

metmanners

Technical User
Mar 10, 2008

Our computer tech finally registered my Microsoft Office Home and Business software at my workstation last night. When I came in this morning, there was a prompt to visit the office.com website which I did.

I am trying to be diligent and go step by step to learn all I can. First thing up is Web Apps.

Side issue but highly relevant: Yesterday I finally found a good way to adjust voice balance (tonality = treble/base) so that I can understand the words spoken in software tutorials. This I have accomplished by patching sound from the computer via a boom box (where I can adjust tonality) to my headset. Win 7 Balance (Win 7 calls it Balance which is not good terminology since it can also mean L/R volume control) adjustment affects only media NOT voice. I have hearing loss in high frequency range (consonants are high frequency) so that even with my high quality hearing aids, consonants need to be annunciated clearly for me to hear them and understand the words – vowels are low frequency.

Back to Web Apps: Right off the bat they are playing music in the background while speaking like they do on some other tutorials. Music in the background is one of many typical disruptions to understanding speech patterns for people with hearing loss.

I suppose that I am shoveling sand against the tide by trying to find a solution to this problem. This musical addition must make for pleasurable learning for the general population (BTW I love music) but for me it is ear-atating for the given reason. Any ideas besides a personal interview with Bill Gates?

I looked under Support at office.com. No “contact us” button that I can see.

Any comments will be appreciated.

metman

Try looking for a text only feature.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Thanks Blue,
This caused me to do some navigating and found out....

Starting at office.com

If I go to support\All Support, I get this:

Office: help and how-to
I skip down over the office product icons to here:

More Office help and how-to
Get started with Office
Get started with Office 2010 now >
Get started with Office 2007 now >

NOT GOOD because more music
But here:

IS good

I do not remember how I got here so I saved the above link.

Get started with Office 2010
Whether you are a newbie or just updating, the Office 2010 Getting started site has tools and quick information to get you going quickly. Doug Thomas of the Office Casual series shows you how in this short video.

00:01:11
Watch Video > Good = no music
See Also
Try Office 2010 Not good = sales pitch and we already
bought it

Same page at left is the following:
Office Videos
Office 2010
Getting Started
Access 2010
Excel 2010
Lync 2010
OneNote 2010
Outlook 2010
PowerPoint 2010
Project 2010
Publisher 2010
SharePoint 2010 Products
Visio 2010
Word 2010
Office Web Apps

Getting started with Excel 2010
If you know Excel 2007, used an earlier version of Excel, or have never used Excel before, explore these resources to begin learning how to use Excel 2010.
00:03:08
Watch Video > Is Good = no music
See Also [COLOR=red yellow] Is Good = Text only [/color]
Getting started with Excel 2010 [COLOR=red yellow] Is Good = Text only [/color]
What's New in Excel 2010

Same is true for the other office software in the above list on that page, e.g., Word and Outlook. In other words;

Video = no music
See Also = [COLOR=red yellow]Text only[/color]

I guess that I will simply have to live without Web Apps at least for now.

metman

metmanners said:
...Win 7 Balance (Win 7 calls it Balance which is not good terminology since it can also mean L/R volume control) adjustment affects only media NOT voice...
Win 7 does NOT call it Balance. It calls it Equalizer. I was just trying to confuse myself – as if I needed that. It really has been an ordeal trying to figure out Windows Media Player, Autoplay, Equalizer and then finding it does nothing for speech/voice tonality. At least I have learned a little in the process and hope this can help someone else.

[upsidedown]

metman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back