Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music on hold questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duaneness

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
US
I've finally received permission to pursue this option. After reading all the documentation I can find on it, it sounds like I can connect any old music source to an available AUX port. What is the difference between a "registered" music source, and any old CD player? What is the 909A/B Universal coupler for? Can I just build my own RCA to RJ45 adapter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

-Duaneness

I just ran cross connect from the headphone port on the CD player to my 66 block and terminated it that way. My CD player is hung on the same wall as the 66 blocks. Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

Where can i find info or documents on this 909A/B Universal coupler, i have 2 and have no idea what they do.

I spliced my RCA (CD Output) to RJ45 adapter and it works fine.

Most CD players, if not powered on/off too often have a MTBF (mean time between failures) of +- 3 years.

I have been running a CD continuously for over two years.

Be careful, if you are a bigger business, it is possible, though very unlikely, that someone might get you for using copyrighted music without paying royalties. Or, like they say during the baseball games, rebroadcasting without the express written consent blah, blah, blah.

Just a thought.

I agree with ctr999.

Several years ago, I got a call from a company that sells Music-On-Hold product. He informed me that the CD music that I was playing violated the FCC re-broadcast rule. I checked with someone who is familiar with FCC ruling and told me that indeed there is such thing.

To avoid headache, I would get a Music-On-Hold box and play some music that those companies composed. It could be promotion message for your company.

Hope this help!

believe it or not, you can even get into trouble using a radio station. Also, most businesses when they hook the radio to their music on hold, don't think of the fact that their callers may be hearing ads from their competitors while on hold.

Another problem with using a radio station is a caller could hear an ad for your competition while they are on hold for you.

Don't know how it is set up in the US, here in NL, its just a matter of paying the responsible oragnisations their yearly fee.
Hardware wise just connect one pair off the aux-trunk pack
to you CD-player, or even a MP3 server if you'd like to add in commercials, or general announcements etc..
If you like to change the volume of the port, just put a potentiometer, or a restistor of a value between 1Kohm to 10K in line with the source, this generally trims it down to the appropriate value

Hope this helps

Rob

You can also go with a company like Muzak, yes elevator music Muzak. Our company has couple differnet types, Satellite music, using a Dish Network box and also the Muzak on hold box, where the music or marketing on hold message is downloaded from a tape. We just have the music on hold go to an analog port that is defined as a music on hold souce.

Re-broadcasting radio is definitely a no no because FCC grant licensee to broadcast certain programs. We do not have the right to rebroadcast, however, we do it all time. Many years ago, I hooked a radio to the music port on the PBX and turned to NPR. For months nothing happened then one day I got a phone call from the top executive to ask to shut off the station immediately because NPR was broadcasting the Judge Thomas hearing – remember the “hair” thing!

Now I am using a music-on-hold box with music provided by the vendor. My suggestion is either don’t have music or have something legal!

Record your own message, song(s), music etc to a cd, (we have our own advertisement), then play continuously.

If you feel like it sue yourself.

Don't forget to plug your music source into an FCC approved surge suppressor or you can void your maint contract and not get lightning or perhaps any repair coverage. All adjuncts fall within this rule.

You may also purchase specialy licensed CDs that either are royalty-free or that come with a license for use as music on hold. If you search the web you will find a bunch of sites that sell these.

Just my 2 cents worth, I downloaded some freeware non-commercial elevator-type music at Not sure if those are FCC regulated. I play those of a sound card on the PC that hosts my DSA program next to the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back