Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music on Hold during conversation - on softphones SP350

Status
Not open for further replies.

phadobas

Technical User
Jul 30, 2005
US
Well, I have no idea about this one so I decided to post it here, maybe somebody can come up with a good advice on this.
Since about 2-3 days one of our SP350 softphone users hears music-on-hold while in the middle of a phone conversation. I tested it and duplicated it on his phone myself (but no other phone has been reported to be doing this on the system). The phone system is SV8500.

When you pick up the phone to get dial tone, you get clean dial tone.
When you start dialing, dial-tone breaks (phone goes silent), and there is no music-on-hold.
As soon as called party answers, one of 3 things may occur:
a) conversation is nice and clear, no background music
b) conversation occurs, with background music playing constantly (and only heard by the calling party)
c) you only hear background music, and you can't hear the other party.

These all seem completely random, but you get mostly b) or c).

DCON shows nothing unusual. It shows the phone is connected to the called party. It doesn't show involvement from any conference trunk (route 909). Checking all conference trunks, none of them are stuck in a conversation and none of them are involved in the conversation of this phone.
I've also checked pure IP-to-IP calls as well as IP-to-TDM (via IP PAD) calls. No difference. I've checked the IP PAD cards, all connection trunks seem to be normal except for 1 set of two. They are connected to each other, and I can't release that connection. However, when I make a test call, whether I get a) or b) or c), those 2 stuck connection trunks are not involved in the conversation.

I've un-programmed the station and re-programmed it on a different LEN, and the problem keeps occurring. I imagine if I changed its extension #, the problem would go away, but I haven't done that so I'm not even sure.

The softphone is on a thinlcient computer with very limited storage and computing capabilities, so I can't wireshark from it.

Is there some debug command on the SV8500 that would show something more detailed than DCON or RSLT? And is readable by a human being?
What other approach can I take to fix this? I have an SV8500 with S7 installed.
The mentioned softphone (as many others on the system) has been working fine up until this came about.

Isn't MOH generated by the phone and not the system? Try removing and reinstalling the softphone.

You have a point there, and there are circumstances and system where it could be, but on our system doesn't do that. I was on the phone with the employee who has this problem. I called him from the switch room, and I confirmed that he could hear the MOH while talking to me. I then proceeded to disconnect the MOH player from the pbx, and he said the music stopped playing in his ears. When I connected the player back to the system, he started hearing it again.

I am not sure about this on the 8500, but it exists on the smaller systems, background music. Did the user dial a code to turn on BGM? It will play the system MOH if no other source is provided.
Also, try clearing the PC's cashe and cookies.

Seems like it's resolved. I found some stations programmed on LENS that are taken up by the PH handler. After I moved those stations away from that range of LENs, from the next day on, this hasn't been occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back