Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music on Hold device

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzieb

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2009
ZA
Hi There

I have 2x Ver10 IPO Select Linux servers and a 500v2 serving as a PRI gateway. My company has just informed me that they have purchased a Music on Hold streaming device they want to use for advertising. Is there a way to stream through the 500v2 to the Linux systems?

Kind regards
BazzieB

My company has just informed me that they have purchased a Music on Hold streaming device they want to use for advertising
It would have been prudent to check for compatibility & suitability BEFORE purchasing the equipment.
Is there a way to stream through the 500v2 to the Linux systems?
No
The only way this could prtentialy work is for handsets That are connected onto the IP500V2

A wav file on the linux server can be 600 Seconds (10 Min) this should be more than enough for youradvertising messages, unfortunatly the MOH device is probably only usefull as a door stop.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Hi IPGuru

Thanks for your reply. This is the 2nd time that this has happened in the last 2 weeks. It is really frustrating. Marketing buys devices that some sales guy pitches and has no idea weather it works on the PBX or not.

Kind regards
BazzieB

My 2 recomendations to any end user would be:-

1) Alwasy check compatibility of any new equipment with your system maintainer before purchasing.
2) Buy new equipment orm your maintainer (you shold be able to rely on them to perform recomendation 1 for you)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Newbie here, so my response is more of a quesiton.
Can't you use the 3.5mm audio input on the back of the 500v2 for the MOH?
I'm using an old Samsung phone with a playlist I setup plugged in for mine.

As you are pretty new to forums a quick suggestion: When you have questions that are not really related to the topic post a new topic instead of attaching your question to a post that has been answered 2 weeks ago.

As for your question yes you can use the audio input on the back of the 500v2 for MOH. If you are using standard mode MOH must be changed from internal to external and if you are using Basic you have to turn it off and back on again (cause basic sucks). Sometimes there is not an impedance match and the device will sound super quiet (needs to be 600ohms). Be careful using a play list from a phone because if you are using music and it is not licensed it is illegal.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I think he was asking if you could plug a MOH player into a 500 that is being used as an EXPANSION system on a Server Edition.

And you can, but it can't be used as the music source for the SE. But you could use it for the source for extensions connected to the expansion control unit.

On an SE, if you can map a USB port to the virtual machine, you can plug a USB soundcard into it and feel the MOH player into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back