Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music / MP3s Security/Permission Settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDD707

Technical User
May 30, 2003
GB
I have over 160GB (all legal) of music as MP3s but none will now play. It would appear that I have an issue with the security/permissions on all of the files. The icon is the MP3 icon with a padlock on it.

Can someone please let me know how to revert these settings to the default? (preferably on mass on it will take quite a while)

Thanks in advance

Removing padlock from folder icons (after disabling folder share)

Right click the folder and choose “properties”.
Click the “security” tab and then click “edit” and then click “add” and then click “advanced”
Click “object types” and then tick “groups” and then click “ok” and then click “find now”
Scroll to the bottom of the list and then highlight “Users” and then click “ok”. “ok”
Highlight “users” and tick the boxes for “read” and “write” (and any other permissions you want).
Click “ok” “ok”

Locked Folder Access

You could also look at this article but there are several warnings to consider included in it. Use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings.

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (or Vista or Win 7)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Locked Folders ?
thread1726-1615323

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back