Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multithreading and Remoting implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

transurban1

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
Hi.

I am coding some networking application using socket class provided by Visual Basic .Net 2003, that is, tcplistener, tcpclient, and networkstream. Also, since I want to control the local computers from the server as well, I try to use multithread class.

In general the networking through socket is implemented separately between server side and client side. That is, after activating the server and individually and separately the client computer is activated to detect the server by user, but what I want to is that the server gives command to local computers to be activated to establish the networking. Under the local computers, another program is running through COM for data communication between the server and client.

The ultimate goal of my work is to control the client computer from its initialization and termination for remoting running and data communication through multithreading and socketing under Visual Basic .Net environment.

Thank you for your help in advance.

I'm not 100% clear on what your goal is, but Network communication is a great place to get into multi-threading.

I would lay the Client program out as follows:

Primary thread - Handles the GUI, or if the solution is service based is an infinate loop with an escape varaible.

Listener thread - Handles the Network Client that listens for commands from the server.

Sender thread - Handles the Network Server that sends responses back to the server.

Process thread(s) - Launched by the listener thread to perform functions on the Client PC.

The Server program would be similar. You could probably create a few generic classes that handle the Listener/Sender/Process threads, inherit those base classes into classes that provide code specificly for the Client or Server application.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back