Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiplexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4ts

Technical User
Aug 17, 2004
GB
I am running a multiplexing job and wondering if it is possible to create and send a report based on each job in one backup job which contains 20-30 servers?
We are running version 11 and looking into ways of informing the owners of those servers about the backups either via email or web page.
Thanks.

You can setup alert for each job. They can each be configured differently to send the user an email or page them, etc. There are lots of alert options.

To set alert on a job, modify it or create a new one, select options and then go to the alert tab.

You can also try using the Report Writer for this.
Configure and schedule a Report and send the output via html or csv to a webpage.

regards

Report Writer is a manual process. How would automate it?

In the Addministrator Guide is a separate section for command line utilities. Use this to create your reports. With the Job Scheduler Wizard you can automate these processes.

regards

This sounds quite interesting. Is there any set of command line examples I can test this with?

Ah! I wasn't aware of that. There is a tool named CAReports that you can execute on the command line.

L4ts, run "CAReports /?" to get the syntax. I did a quick test using r11.1 and it is pretty simple to use.

1. Create a report by running the ReportWriter wizard.
2. When you reach page 2 do not Generate the Report, just save the report as an xml file.
3. You can run the report by executing CAReports:

e.g.
C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup>careports -r "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\query.xml" -s -o output.xml

-r is used to specify the input xml file
-s tells the command to run silently. i.e. don't start the GUI
-o specify the output file name

4. Using the Job Schedule Wizard you can set this up to run at specific times. You could probably run this as a post command to your backup jobs, but I would not suggest it. There will be a time lag between the time that the job ends and the time that mergecat finishes merging all the cat files into the database. If you run a report right after the backup then you may not capture all of the information about the job. You can use the job schedule to execute the query later in the day.
5. If you are abitious you can create a script to mail the report or just run the output to a htdocs or of your web server.

Thanks ACiDelic,

better explained than I could..

regards

Working perfectly!
Cheers guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back