Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiplexing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukbtr

MIS
Nov 26, 2003
US
We are currently starting to use multiplexing because we have replaced our LTO1s with LTO3s. I have a policy with multiple clients and the multiplexing is set and works great.

My question:

Can multiplexing be done with different policies going to the same tape?

Example:

unix_db_oracle_a
unix_db_oracle_b
unix_db_oracle_c
unix_db_oracle_d

separate policies backup up same DB just separate directories within. Each policy has unique include/exclude lists to accomplish this. If I send to a drive that is set for multiplexing and set the schedule in the policy to multiplex, will it work? I'm asking now before I put a lot of work and find out that I waisted a bunch of time setting it up.

Thanks in advance for answers,
Dukbtr

I'm guessing here, but assuming those policies use the same storage units, then I can't see why not. Like I said, its a guess not factual. You could always try it and examine the outputs.

I'm a bonehead as usual and overcomplicated things. I created 2 test policies, set to the same storage unit and MPX. Manual release and it worked. Yahoo - I'm now doing it on multiple policies and it has really helped free up drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back