Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiplexing for a campus network connection? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoplax

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
The subject may not exactly reflect this idea but please bear with me.

Say you have a user in a campus dorm, with a single (crappy) internet connection, and a single computer with a single NIC.

Is it possible to somehow split the connection up so that the connection is handled by multiple NICs, and thereby improved in terms of error correction and speed? Some kind of multiplexing...?!

Years ago there was a technology where you could use multiple modems over a phone line (or maybe it was multiple phone lines) to quasi-double the connection speed by using both modems simultaneously for data. Something like this I guess.

Is this possible, or would one need at least one additional separate network connection to the LAN to make this happen?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1) both the PC and the switch would have to have compatable software and hardware.
2) if the switch's uplink is not faster than the link to the PC, it HAS no more bandwidth to give.
3) there is no 'standard' for multiple links of ethernet, each vendor is different, Cisco calls it etherchannel, Nortel calls it multilink trunking, another name is port aggregation. The 'standard' is spanning tree, which just blocks all but one port
4) I confess I found it more useful for redundancy than speed.

Have you tried tuning the link you have at

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back