Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Workgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I created multiple workgroups here at work. Yeah, I know I should have used AD. Is it possible to get one Windows computer to join multiple workgroups? Yes, I'm talking about my admin machine. Can I get it to join the library, dorm, and cafeteria workgroups all at once, so I can admin them when needed remotely?

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

how do you mean?

your PC should be able see across all workgroups? Its only a visual display of networks

you will still be able to access them so long as they reside on the same network and even better resolving to the same DNS server

so you can do a UNC look up on all machines regardless of the workgroup they are in

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

As pointed by Hairless a Workgroup is merely a convenient grouping of machines for humans to easily identify.

However you can only belong to one Workgroup at the time, yet there's nothing preventing you from accessing the workgroups, as long as the machine IP configurations in the network all match.
Code:
 PC       IP              Subnet        Gateway    Workgroup
PC_A: 196.168.1.5      255.255.0.0   196.168.1.1     Office
PC_B: 196.168.1.6      255.255.0.0   196.168.1.1     Office
PC_C: 196.168.1.7      255.255.0.0   196.168.1.1     Library
PC_D: 196.168.1.22     255.255.0.0   196.168.1.1     Library
PC_E: 196.168.1.36     255.255.0.0   196.168.1.1     Library
PC_F: 196.168.1.99     255.255.0.0   196.168.1.1     Reception

etc...

A PC with an admin user that is present in all other machines can even access them via the Computer Management console and "manage" them if everything is set correctly.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Aha. They are on different subnets. They are running through a router, which has routes to both subnets, but workgroups must use broadcast to communicate. Thanks.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

If they are running on different sub nets then you can't access them directly. You could of course have a batch file that automatically changes your network configuration to match the correct subnet you want to access at the time.

Using the netsh command to change the configuration:

If you set up several files you can easily change between subnets. It wold take a moment of the changes to propagate and give you full access to the subnet, but it should make it more convenient in the end.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I miss the days of OS/2 when you could have multiple network sessions...........

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Luckily, I'm running Windows 7 and can install a second NIC.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back