Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Volume Group Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roomer

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
GB
I have written a script that attempts to save 3 volume groups (1 after the other).

The lines of code I have employed are as follows...

for vg in uservg1 uservg2 uservg3
do
./usr/bin/savevg -f $NOREWIND1 '-i' '-m' '-X' $vg
done

The variable $NOREWIND is declared as /dev/rmt1.1

When scanning the tape for certain files, I can only see files from one volume group. Is it possible that I am overwriting my previous saves ? If so, how can I resolve it??

Thanks
Roomer

In your lines of code, the variable you have used is NOREWIND1, but you later refer to NOREWIND.

Is that just a typo? If not, then maybe it's the source of your problem.

mkharris,

that was in fact a typo !!!
Can you see anything obvious wrong with the way I'm trying to save data?

I can't really see anything obvious, but it might be worth trying to remove the space between the '-f' flag and the NOREWIND1 variable.

Does this script work? Does it write each VG to a seperate tape or one single tape? Are the VGs overwriting each other or appended after each other? I currently use IBM Sysback to backup our RS6000's which have multiple VGs. This also allows for booting to the tape, like a mksysb backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back