Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple VGA cards in one PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

knbink

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2010
Hi All

I am trying to make a video wall, with multiple VGA cards in one system. At the moment i am having HP W8000 Workstation, a little bit older, which has NVidia Quadro2Pro AGP Card.
I tried installing the EVGA GeForce 8400GS PCI card in the same system, but unfortunately the second VGA card is not recognized. If i remove the AGP Vga Card, and leave only the PCI card, the system does not start.

I can not think anymore of a solution regarding this,i checked in BIOS for IRQ settings, checked not to enable only AGP video cards etc.

What can be the problem?
And what can be the solution.

The overall idea was to put 3-4 PCI Vga Cards so we can connect more monitors, to create like a mosaic of the picture. Now i am stuck at this.

Thanks for the help.

With only the AGP card in the system, go into the BIOS and reset all settings to the default. Save and exit. Go back into the BIOS and turn the PC off. Remove the AGP card and install the PCI video card. Power the PC back on and hopefully you'll see video. Try multiple PCI slots if you have trouble. If the card is still not recognized, there may be something wrong with the card. Trying it in another PC would be a good test to confirm this.

I can understand if you're trying to get by with what you have to save money, but if you can work it in your budget, I recommend trying this in a newer system that has 2 PCIe x16 slots and an x8 slot. There are plenty of cards that would work with that configuration.

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

well, thats not the problem.
The problem is that the company is preparing for a show, and wants to do something with multiple monitors.

I know there are companies that can prepare a whole system with monitors and everything for video wall, but we are trying to do something cheaper.

I managed to put the PCI Vga Card in another computer, removing the bracket because the other computer is low profile. And it works, but i am having problem connecting 3 monitors now.
Both the onboard vga card and the PCI VGA card are installed,i have 2 VGA monitors and 1 DVI, and now the VGA are working but the DVI doesnt.

Also, how can i specify them as separate monitors, and be able to run different things on it?

==> well, thats not the problem.

Can you elaborate a little? Do you mean you reset the BIOS to factory settings and tried multiple PCI slots, but neither attempt worked?

==> Both the onboard vga card and the PCI VGA card are installed,i have 2 VGA monitors and 1 DVI, and now the VGA are working but the DVI doesnt.

Please specify what the PCI card has. Does it have 1 VGA output and 1 DVI output? When you refer to the "onboard" card, is that a VGA connector that is actually coming from the motherboard or is it a separate AGP/PCI/PCIe card?

~cdogg

Ok I managed to configure the monitors with the cards.
Now all 3 monitors are working.

Now, can i span a picture (not background or wallpaper) through all of them?

Can i run a video or presentation in power point, but to be spanned on all the monitors.

Thanks for the help

==> Now, can i span a picture (not background or wallpaper) through all of them?

Yes, you should be able to by going into the video card's utility (in this case the Nvidia Control Panel). Under "set up multiple displays" you'll see various options such as single display, clone, dual view, etc. - you want single display or horizontal span. I believe both will allow Windows to see all the monitors as a single desktop. Anything you open will span across the displays, even your wallpaper.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back