Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple versions on same box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I have a application/DB server that has SQL 2000 Standard on it. It serves as an application server for two apps. One still has it's DB on this server. The other has had its DB moved to a shared SQL 2005 server.

From the console of this server I can't use Enterprise Manager to connect to the SQL 2005 server to manage that DB. I can RDP to the other server to run SMSS but that's a pain at times.

Can I install SQL2005 tools on this server without affecting the underlying SQL2000 server engine?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

From my experience... yes.

Many of my customers are using MSDE2000. We installed SQL Express 2005 client tools on those computers to give us a GUI interface for administering/configuring SQL. Works well for us. Not all customers have things installed this way, but I bet there's more than 50 of them like this.

The only potential problem is.... SQL2005 client tools require the .net framework (not sure which version). If you don't have the right version, it will prompt you and download for you. But... I'm not sure if a re-boot is required. If you want to do this on a production server, you may want to find out if this will cause you to re-boot.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Both SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager 2005 Studio can be installed on same system and 2005 Management studio is bakcward compatable. Make sure configure the locations to seprate folders during installs.
Thanks

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back