Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple versions bloat the file

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardMartinIII

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Hiya!

We have a little Access database that we keep in SourceSafe. We use SS primarily to keep a modicum of control over that database, meaning we don't want copies of it multiplying all over. However, people futz with it all the time, as it tracks trouble tickets for a project that has a lot of trouble.

The problem is, we now have a 5M file that takes up a gig of SS db space and has 327 versions!

Is there a way an admin can turn off the "versioning" control, so that in the case of this file (and this file only), SS acts as only a repository? There is no conceivable reason we'll ever roll this database back. The way I'd normally do it is to GetLatestVersion, then completely nuke it from the SS db, then reload it, but that seems hokey.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edward "Do not read this sentence."

Surely I'm not the only person who experiences this?

Curious.

Edward
"Do not read this sentence."

Edward,

When you add a file using the 'Add File' command, you are given the option (click 'advanced>>') to 'store only latest version'. See 'Add Files' in Help.

You can also add the Store_Deltas initialization variable to the srcsafe.ini or ss.ini file. Set the value to NO, as:
Store_Deltas = No.
This will become the default for all files. You can override this for individual files using the
advanced option described above.

Hoo nelly. If it was a snake it woulda' bit me!

Thanks!

Edward "Do not read this sentence."

Edward,
Why use Sourcesafe at all if you're not interested in its versioning functionality? The fact that a version of your database is currently archived in Sourcesafe will not prevent users from making copies and leaving them lying around, which is the main rationale you've listed for throwing Sourcesafe into the mix.
Sourcesafe's ability to define a "canonical" version of your database can be more easily achieved by simply defining a "canonical" version on the network somewhere and flushing all versions that show up elsewhere. The file system and Access' internal security can take care of permissions while the OS takes care of backups.
It appears to me that your problems spring from using the wrong tool for the job. Offline media is an easily automatable solution to both your archiving needs, and your drive space anxiety.
IMHO ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back