Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple values in a field

Status
Not open for further replies.

joxo1

Programmer
Aug 5, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have a database that needs to store (and search by) invoice numbers. I was just going to use a field called 'Invoice_Numbers' however I've found out that there may be multiple invoice numbers accosiated with each record.

How do i store multiple values in a field and be able to search the database for them?

I can just have multiple fields like 'Invoice_Number_1' , 'Invoice_Number_2' etc as I don't know how many invoice numbers there may be!!

If you can help I would be very greatfull!

Assuming your table contains order information, use a separate table to store your invoice information. Include an OrderNumber field in the Invoice table so that you can relate them back to orders.

Poke around on Google for information on database normalization. This article is a good plain english beginner's guide.

joxo1,

Your table was not designed by a knowledgeable database professional.

I would CORRECT this situation rather than doing a workaround.

Skip,
[sub]
[red]Be advised:[/red] [glasses]
Alcohol and Calculus do not mix!
If you drink, don't derive! [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back