Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple V-Shield Tray Icons after unlocking workstation desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew1701d

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
Hi, weird issue occuring on my workstation, we have Windows XP w/SP2 workstations, running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i Patch 13. So last week I downloaded Patch 14 from the service portal site to give it a whirl for a few days and see how things were, after a few days I noticed whenever i returned to my workstation and unlocked it from the screensaver there were at least 3 extra v-shield icons crossed out in the system tray, upon moving my mouse over them they disappeared, but it got annoying so I completely uninstalled the antivirus and reinstalled the original install - VSE80i wPatch 13, problem is, this is still occurring. Anyone else run into this issue? Is the best course just to avoid Patch 14?

"I'm certifiable, not certified. It just means my answers are from experience...not a book

I did not encounter that particular issue with Patch 14. I did have an annoying issue with being prompted to reboot daily, but that was because my ePO Server has Patch 13 in the repository and I was testing Patch 14 on my test workstations. Everytime my workstations performed an AutoUpdate, it would attempt to install Patch 13 and kept forcing me to reboot. Of course, on my true test environment where Patch 14 was checked into the repository, I did not have any problems.

I'm not ready to commit to Patch 14 because the ScriptScan exclusion does not appear to be working for me so I've got a call opened with McAfee to try and get this resolved before I consider deploying this patch.

Thanks for the response, yeah on the McAfee forums no one is too pleased at the rate at which they are pushing out patches, i think i'll hold at the Patch 13 level and just wait for Virus Scan Enterprise 8.5

"I'm certifiable, not certified. It just means my answers are from experience...not a book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back