Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple user access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmkimmons

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
US
Hello,

I’m pretty familiar with Access, but just not in a multi-user environment. Right now, there is only one terminal that the application is saved on, but I have three different users that can logon. I put the application within a shared folder for all users to access. I can access it from my logon, but when I log onto the other names I cannot. It either gives me the read-only error, or states that I don’t have permission to access it. I’ve turned off the “read-only” selection for the shared folder that the app resides in but don’t know what else to do.

Any help is appreciated.

~Rob

If we expect the unexpected, does that make the unexpected... well, expected?

The best way to handle a multi-user environment is to split your database into 2 databases. The FrontEnd (FE) database contains all of your forms, reports, macros, modules, pages, and queries. The BackEnd database contains just the tables. The FrontEnd database then links to the tables in the BackEnd.

Each user should have a copy of the FE on their pc. The BE should reside on the server.

I'm not sure you have your security setup correctly. The workgroup file should also reside on the server. And each user should have a shortcut that opens the FE. The shortcut should look something like this:

"\\path\MsAccess.exe" "\\path\YourFE.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\path\YourWorkgroup.mdw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back