Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple UPSes on one server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSWired

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2003
US
I've recently installed a new Poweredge 4600 server at my organization. This server has two power inlets- one that is active all the time, and another which is switched to if the first supply fails. I've connected an APC smart-ups to each of the power inlets of the server. My question is in regards to using Powerchute business edition to execute a graceful shutdown of the server when both UPSes are exhausted. Each UPS is connected to the server with a serial connection. How can I configure Powerchute to shut down the server only after BOTH UPSes are about ready to quit? So far I have only been able to get Powerchute to recognize one of the UPSes, the one attached to the first serial port of the server. Thanks in advance!

This is only an idea, but perhaps you could get 1 UPS (say UPS1) working with the server and then get the 2nd UPS (UPS2) to power UPS1 so that when the power fails, UPS2 powers UPS1 (and the server), and when UPS2 runs out UPS1 which is attached to the server kicks in and sorts out the shutdown etc. This minimises the time spent trying to configure it to work with 2 UPS's, which I'm not sure would work anyway. However, I'm no expert on UPS's so don't quote me on that!

make sure if you daisy chain your UPS devices that the UPS devices do not drain so much power that it renders everything underneath it useless.

say they output 1000 W, but they pull twice that from the AC jack. I'm not even sure if that is accurate, but it is something look for just in case.

If they pull more than they output (to charge the battery) then when the power goes out, the UPS devices higher on the chain (closer to the server) will drain the UPS devices lower on the chain much faster than intended. So you think your uptime is 3 hours for 3 UPS devices, you may only be up for 1 hour, plus 10 minutes for every other UPS because the other two drained to fast, for a total uptime of 1 hr 20 min.

Just an example.

Powerchute will not recognise a dual UPS setup. Powerchute Network Shutdown will recognise two IDENTICAL UPS's and switch if one fails, it will then do a graceful shutdown as required. You would need a UPS Network card in each UPS to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back