Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple UID records with none or different ou= attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dykdaf

Technical User
Mar 22, 2012
DK
I'm working with an LDAP implementation where a single UID may have several records in the LDAP database, one is with no ou= attributes, that (I think) holds the password and no to several further records with same uid= and different ou= attributes.
I believe the ou= is used to form some grouping.
With several application this cause no problems. CISCO FW's and FW-1 can handle this design OK, but one vendor claims it to be problematic.
If you do a ldapsearch for the uid, often but now always, with the record without the ou= be the first to be returned, then followed by the ou= records.
Occasional - for example when the password have been changed - the order in which the records are returned change, so that one of the ou= records comes first and then at some point - the record with no ou= attribute are returned.
The vendor in question do a search and use the first record returned as template for the binding to verify the userid and password. However - if you do not use the record without the ou=, LDAP returns an "Inappropriate logon" - probably because the ou= record does not contain any password.

Could you please comment on this?

Is it within specifications to use LDAP and ou= attribute like it's done here?

Anyway for example via filters or others to enforce the records to come in sorted by ou= attribute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back