Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple tempdb data file naming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

djj55

Programmer
Feb 6, 2006
US
Hello, SQL 2008 standard (new install) two duel core processors.
I see it is helpful to have multiple data files for tempdb. (Yes we currently have a problem I hope will resolve when we upgrade from 2000).

My question is what should I name the files? The default is tempdb.mdf. Should the remainder be tempdb1.ndf, tempdb2.ndf and tempdb3.ndf?

Thank you,

djj
The Lord is My Shepard (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

I think it's only good to have multiple tempdb data files if you put them on different disks. Otherwise, it's just the same amount of disk overhead (reads/writes) as if it stayed one file.

I might be mistaken, but if I'm wrong I'm sure some one will let us know.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

The name of the physical files doesn't matter. You can name them anything you want.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back