Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzle

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
NL
IS there a program that would allow me two have 2 tcp/ip setup on my computer and choose which one i want to use without changing all the settings eveerytime.

The problem comes from my laptop, at the office we use a LAN with fixed IP and when I get home I have cable that needs to have the box choose ip automatically checked. Is there a way to avoid reconfiguring the protocol everytime?

GlobeSoft offers a product I think will fit your needs.

Let me know if it works!

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up metrics to accomplish this? For Instance: look for DHCP as default and set a static IP w/ a metric of 10 as backup. If the comp can't find a DHCP server, it will automatically use the static. Possible?

i know Windows and UNIX can do IP aliasing, so u can have more than one IP address on a single interface... Windows 2000 does it in the advanced section, for Windows 9x, u need to create another TCP/IP instance on the network card, and assign it the second IP address... for UNIX, u just need to use the ifconfig command to do this... no special program is required really...

good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back