Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple TCP/IP Settings with WIn98

Status
Not open for further replies.

denright

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
I am working with a small peer-to-peer network with all PC's running Win98. They have proprietary software that runs on internal IP settings such as 10.14.19.103

I set up an Internet connection using a DSL gateway/router but obviously, to use it the PC's have to have IP settings compatible to the router such as 192.168.1.103.

The problem is that program updates can't be run with the proprietary software unless the internal IP addresses are in place.

Is there any way to attach 2 IP addresses to each machine? I heard that you can do it by setting up separate hardware profiles and specifying the one you want to use at start up but I haven't had success with that yet.

What kind of DSL Gateway Router are you using? Is it passive (no configuration), or do it have multiple Ethernet Ports that each have a TCPIP Address.

If you have something like a NeTopia DSL Router, you can configure the unit to have an outside TCPIP address (ISP Addressing) and inside adressing (Private TCPIP Addressing).

Is there a Firewall involved here? A Firewall would be able to do the same thing! And... if you are not using some kind of Firewall with a constantly open connection to the Internet, I would recommend you buy one, quick!!!

Good Luck!

hi
i want to use ip on single nic with os 98 (tcp/ip)
whats the process
my id is .....
srivastava_romi@yahoo.com

Hi

Win 98 is not able to support mutiple IP addresses on a single NIC.

When you want to that you would need NT 4 WS, Server, Win2000 or XP.

Hope this Helps

Maruis
"I sleep at home not on my Job!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back