Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple tabs in tab control - single data point

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingMom3

Programmer
Jun 20, 2008
US
I haven't used VB since version 6.0...about 6 or 7 years ago so I'm getting my feet wet again....this time using .net.

I have a tab control. Let's say each tab displays different but detailed information on a product. At the top of each tab, I'd want the product ID and a brief description.

Let's say I'm creating a new product and give it an ID.
I have a "new entry" dialog box. Is there a way to link the description and ID text boxes on each tab so that I can enter the info once into the text box and have it populate the text boxes on each tab? I know I can do it individually but it would be great if I could link it...so if say...something changes, I only have to change it in once place and it follows through across all tabs. This will be happening with quite a few fields.

Is that a clear description? Any suggestions?

I don't fully understand your question.

If you are saying that you want each Tab in a TabControl to show a separate product, then I don't think that that would be the most effective design. Generally, each Tab would show different aspects of one particular product with a separate control (perhaps a ComboBox or TreeView) to select the particular product.

[vampire][bat]

No...Let me explain again.

A database is searched by product key.

A single product has information that is spread among different tabs.

Each tab corresponds to the data needed by individual departments.

In general, the data needed by each department is unique to that department. However, there are a few points that will be shared amongst departments. The simpliest example is product ID...however...maybe not the best becasue this is unlikely to change...other fields may change.

But, back to product ID. Each department (or tab) will list product ID.

I want to link all the ProductId fields so that I do not have to fill in product ID everywhere it needs to be. I'd like to link the fields somehow.

This "tabular" format is a requirement. However inefficient or bad the architecture appears, it is a customer requirement on which they will not budge.

Is that any more clear?

I get what you are saying, but not what you are asking. All I can say is you use your product key as a variable and either do separate queries for each tab based off that ID or one query that returns everything at once. I would generally suggest a query for each unless the data for each is all on the same tables and would return at the same time.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

Forget about the tabs.
Tell us how is your table(s) setup. All info in one table or in many tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back