Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Tables Linked in CRW 8.0 in Oracle 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATrooper

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2000
US
Hi,<br><br>I have been advised that we should not write reports in CRW 8.0 because if more then 3 or 4 tables are linked together it will cause CRW to act &quot;screwy, jerk around the data and become a hassle&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;We should rather create temporary tables outside of CRW and then use those tables - allowing the DB to do all of the work.&nbsp;&nbsp;This story sounds fishy to me. <br><br>Has anyone heard or encountered ANY situations such as the one that I am describing here.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br><br>Thanks

temp tables will give you better performance, reduce network traffic, and provide more control over the SQL statement.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is normally a bit quicker to just link the tables in CRW than create a temp table, so it is a tradeoff between speed of design and quality of design.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>I use stored procedures (SQL Server) for all my reports, cause I can test the sp, and then build a simple, reliable, and fast report on it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, the greater flexibility in a sp allows me to reduce the number of subreports, which often drastically slow down reports and increase network traffic.<br>However, temp tables are probably a faster bet for Oracle, because of how Oracle implements stored procs.<br><br> <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You can also do the same thing, but slightly less efficently with ADO.&nbsp;&nbsp;Like Oracle stored procedures. the SQL statement is pushed to the database server, so it runs pretty quickly, actually faster than CR in some cases, and you can use all of the Oracle native functions.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, I'm not sure that you can use a PL*SQL block.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have just never tried it.&nbsp;&nbsp;ADO connections are supported in CR7 and 8.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm using one in a VBScript to do some really complex data juggling prior to having CR format the report for the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back