Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Table Form - EASY?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallaswoz

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
Pardon my stupidity. I have a multi-form database all nicely normalized. When I try to take 3 tables (tbl_customer, tbl_pet, tbl_customer transaction) and input them on 1 form for read /write ability, I am unable to input new data. The form locks the records down (due to the enforced referencial integrity?) and disallows any new records to be added. How can I maintain my referential integrity but have an easy to use interface for my client where they may enter all the data on 1 easy-to-use form?

Ideas? Much appreciated!!!!

Scott

If you create a query with all the key fields of all the tables you're wanting to use in the form, and then base the form on this, it should work.

It may sound like you'll have redundant data on your form, but you can hide these so that they aren't visible to the user - just make sure that they are all populated otherwise you won't be able to add new or edit the records.

Check it out.

Jacqui

Try linking the keys to the fields. For example you should have a "key" for each table try to link them and select the host to end table (select all records from "X" to the end database. This should allow you to enter the data.

dallaswoz/Scott, Have you tried to do this using a main form and a subform(s)? If your relationships are set up correctly, you can link the master/child fields between your main form and subform and the user will see just one form for entering data. HTH, montrose Learn what you can and share what you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back