Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Sum IIF statements 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStrand

Technical User
Nov 14, 2011
US
I am trying to combine multiple Sum IIF calculations in one report to combine the results of multiple departments. The first department works well using:

=(Sum(IIf([ReportGroupBook]="11Budget",[1]/1000,Null)))

What is the syntax to combine other departments into this control source on a report? I would like to combine the totals of field [1] where ReportGroupBook = "12Budget", and "14Budget". Thank you.

try

=(Sum(IIf([ReportGroupBook] in ("12Budget","14Budget"),[1]/1000,Null)))

I would try something like:
Code:
=Sum(Abs([ReportGroupBook] IN ("12Budget","14Budget")) * [1]/1000)
It would be [red]much much better[/red] if you stored something in your tables that identified 12Budget and 14Budget as related rather than hard-coding values into expressions. Values belong in your tables and not in your code.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks to you both for your ideas! Duane I agree I'd rather not hard code into the expressions as you mention. The 12Budget is a combination of values denoting a range of P&L line items (1), Ctr (2), and budget for budget. 12Budget. I have these 3 fields in my union query for the data source but am trying to figure out a better method for combining and filtering the data in the report. The concatenation helped me distinguish the budget from actual data although I should probably use a better method.

I've been testing nested loops with synatx below and getting a the same result as your suggestion. Would you consider this a better method?

=Sum(IIf([Ctr]<9,IIf([ScorecardLine]<=4,IIf([ActBud]="Budget",([1]/1000*-1),0),Null)))

Any additional suggestions for summing the budget and actual data with the relationships that I have described would be apprerciated?

With this you still have 9 and 4 hard-coded.
Code:
Sum(IIf([Ctr]<9,IIf([ScorecardLine]<=4,IIf([ActBud]="Budget",([1]/1000*-1),0),Null)))
It might be difficult storing this type of information in your tables.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back